There's nothing more liberating than going "au naturel" in the sun, but special occasions may require a few light touches from the make up box. Here are a few tricks to avoid sweaty, smudged make up in the sun:
- Remember the sunscreen! Even though you may think your face will be protected enough by make- up, it won't. Always wear at least SPF 30 on your face under your make up and make sure it's oil free and specifically designed for face to avoid greasiness creeping in. Make up will protect your face a little, so you might find that one application of sunscreen on the face is enought to keep you going all day but this totally depends on your skin so make sure you store some in your bag just in case
- Use a good primer. Primers are used after moisturiser and under foundation to help mattify the skin and prepare it for an even application of foundation. I love Nars Pore Refining Primer as it's very light and noticeably helps the foundation stay on for longer without sliding around your face, so perfect to help keep your face looking fresh all day and night during those summer weddings
- Use liquid eyeliner but powder shadow. Kohl, whilst always being a make up essential, can smudge easily in the heat, so when the sun is blazing, opt for a harder pencil or better still a liquid eyeliner. Stay clear of liquid eye shadows though as I find they crease and sweat in the heat and powder is more likely to stay put. It also mattifies the eyelid, giving a much smoother finish
- Use a mattifying foundation and only apply where necessary. You want to show off your radiant tan so don't hide it all! Instead, finish with a nice shimmery bronzer that reflects the light and gives your cheeks a lovely glow. I swear by Nars Sheer Matte Foundation. Don't be tempted to go a shade darker in anticipation of a tan as this will look odd next to your neck and the rest of your body. Instead, go for your normal shade and enhance the tan underneath with bronzer - my favourite at the moment is The Body Shop Honey Bronzing Powder
- Finally, take a face spritz with you to cool down if it gets too much - a quick spritz on your neck and wrists helps you cool down and one on your face refreshes your make up and reinvigorates your skin. Make sure you spray at least 20 cm away from your face though to avoid looking rained on! You can't beat Evian face spray - almost good enough to drink!